At our 8th conference in February 2016, we honored Bob Bailey and Marian Breland Bailey as the first recipients of the Edward L. Anderson Jr. Award. Bob and Marian are both pioneers who helped develop and share science-based, positive reinforcement animal training techniques.
After receiving the award, Bob gave a fascinating lecture, full of stories and photos about the history of animal training and about particular people and experiences that influenced his career. Click the “play” button on the video below to watch Bob’s 35-minute lecture.
If you enjoyed this video, please share it.
Please note, if you are having issues playing this video on an iPad or iPhone, you may need to update your device to the latest version of the iOS software. If you encounter an issue on another type of device, please contact us.
The Art and Science of Animal Training Conference
This video was record on Saturday, February 20, 2016 at the 8th annual Art and Science of Animal Training Conference in Irving, Texas.
To learn more about The Art and Science of Animal Training Conference, please visit the conference section of our website. Our 9th annual conference will be held February 25-26, 2017 in Irving, Texas. We would love for you to join us!
Articles by Bob Bailey, Marian Breland Bailey and Keller Breland
- A field of applied animal behavior psychology, by Keller and Marian Breland (1951)
- The misbehavior of organisms, by Keller and Marian Breland (1961)
- Operant Psychology Goes to the Fair: Marian and Keller Breland in the Popular Press, 1947-1966, by Bob Bailey and Arthur Gillaspy (2005)
- More misbehavior of organisms: A Psi Chi lecture by Marian and Robert Bailey, a transcript from a lecture given in 1992
Animal Behavior Enterprises
- Official online home for the IQ Zoo, created by Bob Bailey and the University of Central Arkansas
- IQ Zoo online exhibit from the Center for the History of Psychology
- Marian Breland Bailey: Many Lives by William Timberlake (2002)
- The CIA’s Most Highly-Trained Spies Weren’t Even Human, a Smithsonian Magazine article about ABE’s work for the CIA
- Obituary of Kenneth Norris from the New York Times
- An oral history biography of Ken Norris by Randall Jarrell and Irene Reti
- Remembering Ken Norris, a special issue of the Journal of Marine Mammal Science (October, 1999)